Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2006 05:44:00 -0300
From:      Duane Whitty <duane@dwlabs.ca>
To:        Walt Pawley <walt@wump.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible clarification

Walt Pawley wrote:
> IMHO, at this page ...
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-understanding.html
>
> ... section ...
>
> 5.2.2 The X Client/Server Model
>
> ... this statement, seemingly intended to clarify the
> client/server relationship in X11, ...
>
> "It is important to remember that the X server is the machine
> with the monitor and keyboard, and the X clients are the
> programs that display the windows."
>
> ... has just the opposite effect on me. Either I'm still
> confused about said relationship or something like the
> following might be clearer:
>
> "It is important to remember that the X server is the machine
> with the display, mouse and keyboard, and the X clients are the
> programs that send data to server to be displayed in a window
> or receive data from the server's input devices."

Hi,

I wonder if this isn't clearer...

"It is important to remember that the machine running the
X11 server program is called the X server.  This machine has
one or more displays, and various input devices such as, but
not limited to, a mouse and keyboard.  The X11 clients are
programs which send messages to the X11 server requesting a
service such as 'draw a rectangle of size X by Y pixels at
position (col A, row B) on the screen'".

If it is decided the section needs some reworking I'd be
happy to prepare patches for any recommended changes.

Best Regards,

Duane Whitty