Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:23:04 -0500
From:      Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
To:        Helmut Schneider <jumper99@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic, but /var/crash ist empty

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Helmut Schneider <jumper99@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> running 8.2-RELEASE-p1 within VMWare ESXi 4.1-u1 I want to use raw
> devices as hard disks. I create the devices using this link:
>
> http://www.mattiasholm.com/node/33
>
> I tried 3 different hard drives (Seagate 2x80GB and 1x400GB SATA2)
> which are fine on a physical machine. I also ran Seatool many hours on
> all of them without errors.
>
> I can partiton the disks and create a few files/directories on it. But
> as soon as I copy a larger number of files to those disks (tried with
> MBR and GPT) the VM reboots *instantly* (I tried cp, dump/restore and
> rsync). No "Rebooting within 15 seconds", just *snap*. I think I can
> see an panic but I'm not sure, it's too fast.
>
> (as far as I can see most of the times the data on the first UFS slice
> (and only the first UFS slice!) of the partition gets *severly*
> corrupted, most of the time all that is left are a few files within
> lost+found. Sometimes all the labels are gone but are recoverable using
> bsdlabel -R)
>
> The problem is that /var/crash remains empty.
>
> What can I do to create a backtrace to open a PR?
>
> Thanks, Helmut

Hi Helmut,

To get a backtrace from the crash (or drop to the debugger), you'll
need to compile a kernel with at least a couple of options defined.
These two:

options KDB
options DDB

...will allow you to work with the debugger on the console after a crash.

Further, with the option KDB_TRACE in the kernel config, you'll get a
backtrace printed automatically when the kernel panicsb.

Here are a couple of excellent documents to read to get you started:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html

Kernel debug options:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-options.html