Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:03:21 -0700
From:      norton@nrlmry.navy.mil
To:        searle@longacre.demon.co.uk
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64bit support?

Perhaps the gmp package at athena-dist.mit.edu is something you might
be interested in looking at.  I've never used it, but it appears to be
an arbitrary precision math library.  I missed the beginning of the
thread and am not sure if you are interested in high precision math,
or something else.

Attached is part of the README.

-dave

			THE GNU MP LIBRARY

GNU MP is a library for arbitrary precision arithmetic, operating on signed
integers, rational numbers, and floating point numbers.  It has a rich set
of functions, and the functions have a regular interface.

GNU MP is designed to be as fast as possible, both for small operands and for
huge operands.  The speed is achieved by using fullwords as the basic
arithmetic type, by using fast algorithms, by carefully optimized assembly
code for the most common inner loops for a lots of CPUs, and by a general
emphasis on speed (instead of simplicity or elegance).

The speed of GNU MP is believed to be faster than any other similar library.
The advantage for GNU MP increases with the operand sizes for certain
operations, since GNU MP in many cases has asymptotically faster algorithms.