Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 06:01:27 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>, Calvin Varney <calvin@varney.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port/package guidelines (Ant)

On Monday 26 August 2002 06:09pm, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> o An Ant-based port sets USE_ANT=YES which is interpreted by
>   bsd.java.mk.

Agree.

> o Should the port come with a build.xml file or should it set some
>   properties that will allow us to _generate_ a build.xml file for
>   it?

Short-term, probably just ship it with a static build.xml.   Then I'd say once
we get sophisticated enough with Ant, we can build an XML out of bsd.java.mk
based on variables set in the Makefile.   Unless you think it's trivial
enough to do the latter now.

> o If the port comes with a build.xml file, then should it have some
>   default targets?

"doc-install" target for those who want the JavaDocs built and installed.
Other than that I can't think of any others (it may be too early in the day
yet).

One thing not mentioned about Ant (often) is that it works great with CVS.  I
was thinking that we could make "-devel" ports pull straight from CVS when
available, instead of being locked in to a particular version.

> o How do we install any JAR files, source code, Javadoc API documentation,
>   etc in a standard manner?

Destinations for everything has been defined based on our earlier discussions
_except_ for source code.   I am assuming any source would be
${PREFIX}/src/${PORTNAME}/${PORTVERSION}.

The real question is whether we want to have Ant run dependency checking
instead of the pkg system.   I think we do, my opinion is to turn over as
much of the functionality to Ant as possible.  The more it does the more
effective it becomes.

Cheers,
--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]