Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2018 13:58:03 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>, x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD framebuffer

On 01/08/2018 12:49, blubee blubeeme wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> I'm curious why the new console driver vt doesn't have a vesa driver when
> the traditional syscons driver did.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
>
> Is there any specific reason why vesa driver wasn't implemented?
Do not read the wiki :)

I'm not sure what "VGA vesa" even means in that table.
Of course vt supports legacy BIOS VGA output, IIRC including resolutions
higher than 640x480.

> Second:
> Linux has Linux fbdev that act as a simple dumb framebuffer, where's
> FreeBSD basic framebuffer?
The framebuffer API doesn't seem very well documented. But it's usually
called 'scfb'.
It's available as /dev/fb0, ioctls are listed in /usr/include/sys/fbio.h.

It is used by the "scfb" driver in Xorg.

Also there's a patch for the Weston compositor that adds support for it:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10599#change-JPzq3MOnXvje