Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:07:02 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>, budsz <budsz@kumprang.or.id>, FreeBSD-Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: About *.asc

--vEao7xgI/oilGqZ+

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 12:09:09PM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 02:29:08PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > On Friday 21 March 2003 09:20, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > > To tell gpg that you trust that this is the key used by the FreeBSD
> > > officer:
> > >
> > > $ gpg --edit-key security-officer@freebsd.org
> > >
> > > enter 'trust' and then e.g. '4'.
> >=20
> > Not quite. What you've just told gpg there is that you trust the owner =
of the=20
> > key to have an excellent understanding of key signing, and that his sig=
nature=20
> > on a key would be as good as your own.
>=20
> OK, I didn't know that (evidently).
>=20
> > The basic expression of trust in pgp is signing / locally signing a key.
>=20
> So you're saying that I should (at least locally) sign all keys that I
> *know* belong to a person?
>=20
> In other words, since it's obviously impractical to have everyone sign
> the FreeBSD security officer's key, I should locally sign it to signify
> *my* trust in the fact that that key really belongs to the officer?
>=20
> I'm just trying to make sure I understand here. Thanks for the clarificat=
ion.

Basically, yes, but not *all* keys.  The basis of PGP's web of trust is
that you sign only a couple of keys that you know belong to people, and
then your PGP software recognizes both those keys *and* keys signed by
those keys, several levels deep, as deep as you configure it.  In fact,
you probably need to both sign a key and place your trust on it.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@sbnd.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
I've heard that this sentence is a rumor.

--vEao7xgI/oilGqZ+

--vEao7xgI/oilGqZ+--