Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:59:39 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Timedout SCBs

>>Yep.. Although, I will try it again with the rest of your changes
>>as well.  I have finally had this happen (I Think the same thing)
>>running UP.  Although I was not able to capture the exact messages,
>>they seemed more scsi related. :\  These are by no means complete,
>>or even in order, but should give somewhat of an idea.  I think
>>that the system just gets hung on a page in, and sits forever waiting
>>for the scsi bus to timeout and retry again and again.
>>
>>Chris
>
>Can you try CAM?  The latest snapshot is building right now (now that the
>tree builds again...).  Look for an announcement on current and scsi in a
>little bit.

Hmm.. It seems that it has not solved the problems either. :(  Since this
now seems as it may be scsi related, I'm inluding freebsd-scsi as well.

These are the messages that I am getting with the CAM code--they seem very
similar.  Basically, the system gets so slow that it seems frozen.  If
you try to switch to the console from X, it will take a long time, but
usually it works. :)

/kernel.SMP: Timedout SCB handled by another timeout
/kernel.SMP: Timedout SCB handled by another timeout
/kernel.SMP: swap_pager: indefinate wait buffer: device 0x30411, blkno: 8688,
	size 8192
/kernel.SMP: swap_pager: indefinate wait buffer: device 0x30411, blkno: 8688,
	size 8192

Now that I have blown away my other disk.. I will try moving my swap there,
and see if it makes any differenc.  Is it likely it is hardware though?

Chris