Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:40:42 -0700
From:      "Carlos C. Tapang" <ctapang@easystreet.com>
To:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   What would it take to build the FreeBSD kernel into Portable Executable (PE) format?

I have been watching with interest your progress in converting from aout to
ELF. I am not ELFish and am seriously considering the idea of starting all
over and converting, at least the FreeBSD core kernel, into Microsoft's PE
format. I understand that one of the things that need to be done is to
change the bootloader to recognize the PE format. Are there other things I
need to change? (The application loader will need to be modified also, of
course).

You are probably wondering, what for? Well, this is just the start of a much
bigger project I am contemplating. I am thinking of starting a project along
the lines of WINE, a Windows emulator for Linux. But instead of just an
emulator, I want to build a Windows clone. The clone will use the FreeBSD
core kernel (use process/task/thread management, virtual memory modules
only).  I'm sure most of you will have a strong opinion one way or another
about this. Let's hear them!

--Carlos