Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:41:46 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
Subject:   Re: locked myself out of my FreeBSD 4.5 server

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 09:29:46AM -0700, Joe Sotham wrote:
> Ooops, I forgot to install .../ports/.../bash2 before changing the login
> shell for root and my user id. . STUPID,STUPID, STUPID! BAD DOG!

Oops indeed...  ;-)

> Now when I try to log in at the console I get ...no valid shell message and
> booted off the system
>
> I've tried booting to single user mode and fixing the passwd file...I get /
> mounted ro.  I don't have disk #2.  I am not sure what the next step is.

Boot single user as you did previously, then do this:

mount -u -w /

This remounts / read/write.  You can then go and repair /etc/passwd.
There was some other unfortunate soul on here earlier who did very
similar.  The lesson for today would seem to be "leave root's shell
alone!"

And don't do it again!  ;-)

Dan