Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:36:40 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@wlansystems.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on non-fpu device

Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au> writes:
> I very much doubt MP3 playing is going to work without an FPU.  The
> 2300SX specifications are badly mangled by the website but appear to
> suggest that it needs 5V@3A - this is not especially low power and
> you should be able to find alternatives.  Check out www.pcengines.ch
> and www.ewayco.com [I haven't used either of these manufacturers but
> have found them in searches].

The Soekris net4801 and net5501 have lower power consumption (15W and
20W respectively when fully equipped, significantly less if you don't
stick a hard drive or WLAN adapter in it) and are fully supported.  The
only caveat is that while the chipset has built-in audio support, I'm
not sure if there's an audio header on the board.

Regarding the eBox, I've seen far more powerful VIA EPIA-based thin
clients in the exact same enclosure shown on the front page of
compactpc.com.tw.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no