Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 21:26:22 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Stuart Krivis <ipswitch@apk.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crap OS X

Stuart Krivis writes:

> One of my cow-orkers got the same deal. She got an Outpost.com slinky
> too. :-)

Purchased a Seagate 5400 RPM 40G ATA-100 drive $115 from Outpost last
week, arrived this morning, and took a few moments to realize what that
plastic spiral thing was.

> > Part of my problem is I have about 10 years of history in the Mac
> > files I
> > drag around. Is terribly easy to buy a new machine with bigger HD, drag
> > the entire old HD to a folder in the new, and everything works.
>
> Maybe you could just burn some of this to CD? I did this with Photoshop
> since I no longer use it very much. If I need it, I just drag it to my
> HD, use it, and drag it to the trash when I'm done.

I have a nice collection of DDS tapes with exactly that on it. But the
whole point was that with enough disk space there is no motivation to
clean up my mess. I just bring the old filesystems with me as folders
on the new.

After the initial move I use StuffIt on the old System Folder and trash
the original. A Mac is wonderful about being perfectly happy to run an
OS restored from a compressed archive. A Mac is wonderful about letting
you drag/drop INIT's, CDEV's, preferences, and extensions from one
System Folder to another.

Other things I trash are multiple copies of Disk First Aid, Simple
Text, Qued/M, Nisus, MacDraw Pro ...

> > Retrospect from Dantz is about the only Mac backup utility available.
> > Its
> >

> Veritas Backup Exec also has a Mac client. Retrospect is quite good
> though. Too bad they don't support unix...

"client" won't cut my mustard. Then again, I run Retrospect clients on
other Macs and NT systems to back *them* up.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net