Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:26:32 +0100
From:      Nils Vogels <nivo+sender+38c70d@yuckfou.org>
To:        Josh Finlay <montarotech@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ALTQ bandwidth limiting only from internet IPs

Josh Finlay wrote:

> pass out on $ExtIF from $Delta to any keep state queue q_delta_out
> pass out on $ExtIF from $Fear to any keep state queue q_fear_out
> pass out on $IntIF from $Delta to any keep state queue q_delta_in
> pass out on $IntIF from $Fear to any keep state queue q_fear_in
>
> This config seems to work quite well
> but its also queueing local traffic aswell
> so if I'm uploading from "Delta" to somewhere on the internet, my
> local ssh sessions (to the machine running pf) lag due to lack of free
> bandwidth
>
> So how do I tell PF to only queue if its an internet ip? or perhaps a
> better way of saying it, is to *not* queue local traffic (to/from
> local ips).

What you could try is something like this:

table <rfc1918> persist { 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16 }
pass out on $ExtIF from $Delta to any keep state queue q_delta_out
pass out on $ExtIF from $Fear to any keep state queue q_fear_out
pass out on $IntIF from $Delta to ! <rfc1918> keep state queue q_delta_in
pass out on $IntIF from $Fear to ! <rfc1918> keep state queue q_fear_in

YMMV

--
Simple guidelines to happiness:
Work like you don't need the money,