Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:11:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Eric S. Nooden" <noodene@beloit.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sniffers and Sniffer detection [General UNIX question]

On Monday, 12 April 1999 at  9:31:58 -0600, Eric S. Nooden wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> A question or two concerning sniffers and sniffer detection.
>
> 1.  Is it possible to detect if a sniffer is being used?

No.

> I know that the MS Network Analyzer does detect when their product
> is being used

Maybe this is a "friendliness" feature.

> but I am more concerned with the UNIX side of the house.  If not, is
> there any program that could determine whether or not the
> promiscuous mode is being used on any NIC...sort of like using nmap
> to scan for it?

The real problem is that it's usually another system which is using
the sniffer, and you have no access to it.  Nothing changes on your
system.

> 2.  Is it possible to install a sniffer, in a user account (with no root
> access), and sniff the network and watch for passwords?

FreeBSD won't allow you to set promiscuous mode unless you're root.

> I do realize that anything is possible, but I would appreciate a more
> specific answer and possibly some ways to protect against sniffers.  One
> precaution to possibly take is to place the modem lines on 10/100 switches
> and also the primary systems.  I would think that protects us a little bit
> considering you can't sniff outside our collision domain (unless you had an
> "agent" on another hub(s) ).

Right, you need to be on the local network.

Greg