Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:24:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul>
To:        chemtechweb@psn.net
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS/2 ports on a Dell Dimension XPS R450

> I just got this machine, never had a problem installing and finding
> the PS/2 port on other computers, but for some reason, this one
> doesn't find it.  I'm still pretty much a newbie at this.  I have
> FreeBSD 2.2.7 release CD's from last October.

It would help if you had a newer release. I don't know exactly what
the problem is here.

> Also, I bought a network card, thinking it was supported, but apparently
> the driver I'm trying to use for it doesn't work.  Here's the message:
>
> pci0:15: vendor0x11ad, device0x0002, class=network(ethernet)
> int a irq 10 [no dpiver assigned]
>
> It's a Linksys LNE100TX.  Of course, it's PnP and I don't know if I
> can disable the PnP ability.

Argh. Stop stop. The pain. For the umpity umpth time: Plug & Play (tm)
ISA devices are different from 'plug & play' PCI devices. There is no
plug & play setting to disable on a PCI card: PCI devices are inherently
'plug and play' because the PCI BIOS configures them for you. That's
the way they work: it's not an option you can turn on and off.

Plug & Play (tm) ISA bus devices are an M$-spawned abomination and I'm
not even going to talk about them.

The LinkSys LNE100TX _is_ supported, just not by the release of FreeBSD
that you have. You need the pn driver. You can download the driver from
http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/PNIC but you have to compile a new kernel
image to use it. The alternative is to wait until the next 3.x release
comes out, which should be fairly soon.

>  I thought is was supported under the de
> driver, and I don't know which driver would support it.  They didn't
> have that wide a range of network cards to chose from at Fry's, at
> least not for the 10/100's.  I need to know now if it's supported or
> not, and which ones are (the other one at Fry's was a DLink DFE-530,
> not the DE-530 which is known to be supported, and I know the Intel line
> isn't sold by Fry's anymore).

If the DFE530-TX is a VIA Rhine card. This is also supported, but not
by FreeBSD 2.2.7. You need the vr driver (www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/VIA)
or again wait until the next release.

>  I've checked the list of supported cards
> and no other ones seemed to be supported by FreeBSD.  I need an
> inexpensive yet stable card, of a very recent model (since that's all
> they have apparently).  I still have about a week to return it without
> any questions, and I need to know if it's supported by a later version
> than 2.2.7, or if there's a driver being written for it as we speak...
> It's not a critical issue since it will be connected to the net through
> modem most of the time, but when I'll bring it in a LAN, I'd like for
> it to have a working, supported nic inside...

There are a fair number of supported 10/100 cards:

- 3Com 3c905/3c905B/3c980 cards (xl driver)
- Texas Instruments ThunderLAN cards (Compaq Netelligent, Compaq Netflex,
  Olicom 2326, Racore 8165/8148) (tl driver)
- SMC EtherPower II cards (tx driver)
- Intel EtherExpress (fxp driver)
- Various DEC 21x4x cards (de driver)
- RealTek 8139 (SMC EZ Card PCI 1211TX and others) (rl driver)
- PNIC cards (LinkSys LNE100TX, Netgear FA310TX rev D1, Matrox Networks
  10/100 FastNIC, Kingston KNE110TX) (pn driver)
- Macronix 98713/98715/98725 cards (CNet Pro120A/Pro120B, SVEC PN102TX,
  NDC Communications SOHOware SFA100A) (mx driver)
- Winbond W89C840F cards (Trendware TE100-PCIE and others) (wb driver)
- ASIX AX88140A cards (Alfa Inc. GFC2204, CNet Pro110B) (ax driver)

There are probably a lot of other cheap cards of taiwanese origin that
use one of the supported chipsets mentioned above which I left out; there
are dozens of places selling such cards these days. Unfortunately, a lot
of them are pretty crummy. The ASIX chip seems to have potential. The
3Com, Intel and ThunderLAN chipsets are the best, but cost the most.
The Macronix and PNIC are sort of average. The Winbond, RealTek and
VIA Rhine chips are really low end; these are the ones you'll find on
the cheapest cards. The RealTek cards work but you won't get great
performance at 100Mbps unless you have a really fast CPU.

-Bill