Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 1995 15:36:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mattias.Gronlund@sa.erisoft.se (Mattias Gronlund)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why XON/XOFF in /usr/sbin/ppp

Hi!
  I have a question about why /usr/sbin/ppp in 2.1R have XON/XOFF enabled?
What I can se in the manpage for ppp it says that I should use Hardware
Handshake and when I try to connect to an Annex configured for dialback
I get some line-noice when the other side dissconnects to dialback.
  One of these noice characters tend to be XOFF which make my FreeBSD
computer wait for an XON which will newer arrive, as an result the ppp
process hangs IO-wait so I can't kill it! But after disabling XON/XOFF
in /usr/sbin/ppp it works just like a charm!

/Mattias