Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 06:55:11 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Ryan Thompson" <ryan@sasknow.com>, "Chris Moline" <chris@theboss.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What to use for my hostname?

Correct. If you're just dialing up to the ISP, the domain name is
unnecessary. The machine does need hostname, regardless of what you
call it. You might want to check out one of my favorite RFC's:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc2100.html
-Otter
p.s. ok, so maybe it's one of the lighter ones... enjoy!