Date:      Wed, 24 Aug 2022 00:27:15 -0400
From:      Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help debugging Vultr boot delay...?

--tcWydc0rw/1b+Tx0

Hi all. I noticed a couple oddities with Vultr's FreeBSD support recently.
The first was that when you asked for a 13.1 VM (with the alternative being
12.3) you'd actually get a 13.0 image. They've addressed this now, so it's
no longer a concern.

The second issue is still there and while I've brought it to their
attention, it'd probably be useful if they had some expert help. What I'm
observing with new VMs, both their images and via FreeBSD's own install
media, is a pause of one and three quarters minutes (around 105 seconds)
between:

    ugen0.2: <QEMU QEMU USB Tablet> at usbus0

and the next line, which appears to be:

    hdacc0: <Generic (0x1af40022) HDA CODEC> at cad 0 on hdac0

FreeBSD believes it's on Hyper-V 10.0.14393 [SP0] but the same VM booted
into GNU/Linux probes KVM, so I've got to ask about that.

Given fairly limited access to the VM - pretty much, a KVM console and
whatever I can manage to be saved to disk - is there any useful way I can
get more data about what's going on during the visible pause? This appears
with the FreeBSD 13.1 install (disc1) ISO and with 13.0 as supplied by
Vultr, but I can boot other ISOs with something custom to explore, as
needed.

Thanks in advance if anyone has clues or ideas. I'll report back when I
know more, regardless.

--=20
Mason Loring Bliss             mason@blisses.org            Ewige Blumenkra=
ft!
(if awake 'sleep (aref #(sleep dream) (random 2))) -- Hamlet, Act III, Scen=
e I

--tcWydc0rw/1b+Tx0

--tcWydc0rw/1b+Tx0--