Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 11:55:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        scrappy@hub.org (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1 release sysinstall

> > > Given that the current sysinstall has a list of FreeBSD mirror sites
> > > from where one can do a net install, shouldn't net install be able to
> > > pick a site based on net response to do the site sites and load on the
> > > target system?
> >
> > Uh.  I can't parse this?
>
> 	I think that what he's asking for is that sysinstall pings each
> one in the list to automatically find the closest, or at least fastest,
> site nearest to him...

That's how I parsed it too.

The problem with this is that there's no way to know if the site is
at or over its user limit after you've pinged.  So closest != most
available.

Some type of extension to FTP to let it tell you how many slots you
have open, and then using the time it took to get the response as "ping
time" might work.

But if you have a lot of these, inetd will assume the ftpd is respawning
too rapidly and shut the site down for 10 minutes.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.