Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:32:00 +0200
From:      Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Speeding up ssh over modem?

I am using ssh over a slow modem (28k, connects only at 14k because of a
very noisy line).  My problem is that the new ssh seems to handle output
from programs differently from older versions.

To be more precise, issuing "ipfw list" on a 10-rule firewall (mostly
diverts to pipes, I also use ipfilter) takes noticeably longer than
"ipfw list | cat".  Also, a tcpdump on my tun0 interface shows three
packets for "sleep 5;ipfw list|cat", and "sleep 5;ipfw list" gives over
50 packets (both cases counting ACKS).

Is there a way to speed things up? The versions of ssh I am using are:
local(client):  OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20010713
remote(server): OpenSSH_2.9 FreeBSD localisations 20010713

The server is running -STABLE cvsupped some 25 days ago, the client is
cvsupped this week.

Arguments to ssh were "-v -C -l username".  Server only supports
protocol version 2.

Thanks!
	Alex