Date:      Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:13:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com>
To:        <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   heads up? ssh, krb5-realm.{com,net}

This problem just started showing up for us today. Apparently, the openssh
that comes with 4.2-R has some strange bug in that it looks up krb5-realm
in DNS even though no Kerberos server was ever configured in any file on
the system. (Dangerous to have this default, no?)

The provider that hosts krb5-realm.com and .net apparently decided to
either shut off their name servers or delay name server responses for
these domains - not too surprising since this probably created a fair
amount of traffic.

I suspect we'll be seeing a number of e-mails from people having trouble
ssh'ing in to their machines and having it take >2 minutes.

The quick-fix for us was to add krb5-realm.com and .net to our DNS tables
so the lookup would be quick.

The problem appears to be fixed in 4.4, but I haven't checked out how yet
(hopefully, all Kerberos checking is completely disabled unless someone
specifically enables it?)