Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:14:13 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@freebsd.org>
Cc:        kib@freebsd.org, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cpuctl(formely devcpu) patch test request

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On 2008-Jun-06 02:09:27 +0400, Stanislav Sedov <stas@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> 2) in cpuctl_modevent(): perhaps it's better to return ENOMEM instead of
>> ENOSYS if malloc() fails and ENXIO instead of ENOSYS if MSR functionalit=
y is
>> not present
>
>I fully agree on ENOMEM (thanks for noticing that), while I think that
>returning ENOSYS for MSR-less systems is more correct, as it states that
>required functionality isn't implemented for this hardware.

ENOSYS generally means "system call not implemented".  You need a response
implying that the requested operation isn't supported on the hardware.
IMHO, ENODEV comes closest to that.

I also agree with phk@ that serious thought needs to be given to the
foot-shooting capability offered by this patch before it is implemented.
Maybe add a sysctl to enable the write (at least) functionality - eg
hw.cpuctl.wrmsr_enable and hw.cpuctl.update_enable (both defaulting to
disabled).  This at least adds a safety catch.  I'm not sure if RDMSR
is dangerous - if so, possibly there should be an enable for it as well.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5--