Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:37:09 +0000
From:      David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast. Get used to it. (Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?)

Quoting <38D86EF7.2595FA9F@gorean.org>
by Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>:

> Actually what you see on the web page clearly stated in numerous
> places is that upgrading from source is NOT for the faint of heart.
> I put a sternly worded message in my 2.2.8->3.2 upgrade web page
> that told the user that they would be better off using sysinstall.
> But, that page isn't on a freebsd site, so I guess I don't win your
> bet.

I'm afraid not 8)

> It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that upgrade from source
> is the preferred way to do it while reading the development lists,
> but those lists are for developers. We have always recommended other
> methods for general users.

> Your point is well taken though, maybe it's time for a more clear
> message in the handbook. Jim, you listening? :)

It's probably even easier than you realise to fall into thinking
source upgrades are the way to keep up with -stable, since what *is*
in the handbook is section 18.2.2 [1], which says:

"If you are a commercial user or someone who puts maximum stability of
their FreeBSD system before all other concerns, you should consider
tracking stable. This is especially true if you have installed the
most recent release (4.0-RELEASE at the time of this writing) since
the stable branch is effectively a bug-fix stream relative to the
previous release."

It then goes on to explain about CTM, cvsup, etc. All this creates in
the mind of the reader the perception that source updates are a valid
way to keep a production system up to scratch. What's missing, what is
*not* there (yet), is the proviso that general users should not try to
use this method across major revisions.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/current-stable.html

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."