Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:39:48 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My Vinum heart attack

On Monday,  2 April 2001 at  8:28:38 -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2001-04-02T13:12:37Z, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> writes:
>
>> There is no critical information in /dev/vinum. The information there can
>> easily be recreated by vinum(8) from the configuration information stored
>> on the disks themselves.
>
> I wasn't too sure at the time which information was canonical - the copy in
> /dev/vinum, or the on-disk copy - so I wanted to be darn sure not to lose
> more than I needed to.
>
> Your point that it is easily recreated is true, given that vinum works at
> all in a particular situation.  Mine didn't.  I know why it didn't, and I
> managed to work through it without loss, but it certainly got my attention
> at the time.
>
> BTW, my note was much more a warning to others to pay attention to these
> things than a complaint.  Vinum is a complicated thing, and you have to be
> willing to rise to the occasion if you want to use it, and I'm comfortable
> with that.

The real issue here is that you seemed to think it OK to update your
kernel and not update userland.  Experienced people will say "that's a
no-no", but somehow you were able to get that impression.  I'm still
planning to investigate how this could happen.

In any case, it does look as if you paniced.  If you had rebooted with
the old kernel, all would have been well.

Greg