Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2015 14:55:20 +0300
From:      Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
To:        Stephen Hocking <stephen.hocking@gmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The minimum amount of memory needed to use ZFS.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:41:13PM +1100, Stephen Hocking wrote:

> In my case, I want to use ZFS. I'm currently running FreeBSD on a number of
> systems, ranging from 16G (box with multiple ZFS pools and filesystems) to
> 256M (Early RPI), so I know it runs OK in relatively small amounts of
> memory (aeons ago I was running it one a box with 8MB). I was curious to
> know what people think it needs to run ZFS without problems.

This depends on average ZFS block size on pool, number of files in
working set, number of simultaneously open files, pattern of access to files and etc.

Using large block size (1M and more) can significantly reduce memory
consumption for ZFS overhead, but you can't cache independence files
as much as for 128K.

Common rule: if UFS working good in you memory and memory > 512M --
ZFS also will be working good.