Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 1995 12:21:34 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   rlogind wont allow root without password... rshd will.

I think this is a bug..

As root:
I can do "rsh freebsdmachine sh -i" and get a root shell.
I cannot do a "rlogin freebsdmachine" - it asks for a password.

I think this is a futile attempt at "security-through-inconvenience"
(worse than the infamous security-through-obscurity) as it achieves
nothing but force people to use the non-wtmp-logged facility.

rlogind (as in 4.4BSD) has a test for UID==0 to disable the .rhosts
check, forcing the root password to go over the net in the clear.  This
IMHO is a bigger risk than the existing vouch-safe security.

If a site is deliberatly allowing root to have a .rhosts file then they
should be allowed to shoot their own foot if they haven't made enough
safeguards.

Note that FreeBSD has a random number mixed into the tcp iss variable,
which makes IP spoofing at least several orders of magnitude harder to
do.  Having somebody sniff the root password is a far bigger risk than a
successful IP spoofing attack.

I'd like to take the test out...  Have I forgotten something?
Objections?   (Yes, I know about ssh... :-)

-Peter