Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 1995 17:33:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk, dyson@freebsd.org, FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re(2): panic: free vnode isn't

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Brian Tao wrote:

>     Unfortunately, I can't rule out NFS because our anonymous FTP
> archive sits on a BSD/OS drive (which I don't think FreeBSD will
> recognize) and user home directories are mounted from another central
> server.  I could probably move ftp.io.org over to another machine for
> a week (if 2.0.5R crashes in the next couple of days) and see what
> effect that has.

    Okay, I've upgraded our IRC server to 2.1.0-951026-SNAP the day it
came out, but left the 20 gigs of user filesystems NFS-mounted on it
and allowed both user and anonymous FTP logins (as well as its regular
IRC duty).  It lasted almost three days before it froze up solid.
Again, no kernel panic messages or syslog messages.

    I moved our FTP services back to a BSD/OS machine and mounted only
a 2-gigabyte filesystem for staff logins on the FreeBSD box.  It's
been running ircd now for over 5 days now without a hitch.  I'll let
in continue on like this over the weekend.  On Monday, I plan to
re-enable anonymous FTP services only and NFS-mount just the public
FTP archives and see if this incremental increase in load will cause
anything to break.  Keeping my fingers crossed...
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.