Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 11:55:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
Cc:        Lawrence Sica <larry@mail.interactivate.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port 137 hitting my server

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Mike Pritchard wrote:

> I've noticed a lot of these types of hits after playing around
> with alladvantage.com (get paid to surf the web!).  I have no idea
> what they are looking for.  At least from that particular web site,
> I haven't seen any real pattern to it, except that I see more of them
> after making use of their software.

The dilbert.com website used to give me reverse port 80 scans (I think it
was port 80)..my best guess was that it was either some kind of
demographic profiling from an advertiser or a spamming business run by
dogbert looking for addresses.

It only seemed to do it once for each of the (dynamic) IP addresses I got
from my ISP, so I never got around to setting up a webserver to see what
it was looking for.

Kris

----
Cthulhu for President! For when you're tired of choosing the _lesser_ of
two evils..