Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 16:15:04 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Martin Novak <mnovak@stap.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports collection

On 9/5/00, 3:40:40 PM, Martin Novak <mnovak@stap.cz> wrote regarding=20
FreeBSD ports collection:

> Could you please explain that term to me? Does it mean it is a=20
collection of applications, running under FreeBSD?
> Thanks a lot
> Martin

Dear Martin Novak,

actually, they are more like "recipes" through which the system=20
fetches the relevant tarballs, extracts them, configures them, builds=20
them and ... installs them.

More info is found in ports(7) and in=20
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports.html

Best regards,
Salvo