Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 1995 09:11:11 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
Cc:        Stephen Couchman <scouch@io.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ijppp cannot talk to modem (/dev/cuaa1)

On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Barry Masterson wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> I can now sympathise with your situation. In an attempt to run ppp
> as a normal user, I've caused ppp to respond to all of my requests
> of 'dial panix' 'set ?' 'show modem' with a "What?".
>
> Briefly, I copyed the ppp file to my home ~/bin directory. I could
> 'su' & start ppp, but got the "what?" with every request. I also added
> the /etc/ppp.* files to my home directory:  ~/ppp/.ppp.*
>
> I've since removed all of those home~/bin & ~/ppp entries, and restored
> everything back to its original setup. But even now as root, ppp still
> responds to my requests with "what?". I've even recompiled ppp from
> the /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp files, but no luck.
>
> I should have left it alone.

sounds like you have a password set in ppp.secret ...  if this is the
case you will only have access to the "pass" and "quit" commands,
anything else will respond with "what?" until you use the pass command to
enter the password...

Incidentally the password system is the only part of iijppp I find
annoying, since it displays the password in plain text you have to type
pass <password> on the command line...

anyway, I hope this helps..

cheers,
Carey