Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 00:11:14 +0100
From:      Manar Hussain <manar@ivision.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Cacheable memory"??

re: PII vs K6-2

We were makign the exact same decisions here and settled on the k6-2 as
more cost effective but lower likely top performance.

>AMD K6-2:
>
>Up to 1MB L2 cache

You can get boards with 2Mb of cache
(http://www.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/california_graphics/photon100
hc-1mb-atx.html)

>Now how much difference does the L2 cache make in a typical web/mail/news
>server?  What is meant by the term "cacheable memory"?  ie: "with 512K
>cache you have 64MB cacheable memory" or "with 1M cache, you have 128MB
>cacheable memory".  I've also heard things like "this motherboard can only
>cache 64MB of memory"...
>
>What does it mean?  What's the real world impact?

It means that any RAM above that level can not be 2nd level cached - it's
to do with how the cache works.

For something that is expected to be pushed in terms of hardware I'd say it
was very important to try and get all the RAM 2nd level cacheable. A 1Mb
board will *normally* be able to cache up to 256Mb of RAM.

manar