Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 23:32:20 -0500
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        "Gene Bomgardner" <glbj@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & DSL

"Gene Bomgardner" <glbj@bellatlantic.net> wrote,

>... While I have User PPP up and running with a dial up connection, I
>haven't been able to get FreeBSD to run PPP over the DSL line.

There's no need to run PPP over DSL. In fact, I doubt it's even possible.
As far as the computer is concerned, the DSL bridge is plain old ethernet.
Just configure your interface and you're off - no phone numbers, no dial
scripts.

When I switched over to DSL (not BA except for the wire to the CO), I had
to do some reconfiguration. This was partly due to switching ISPs at the
same time. IIRC, I had to change /etc/rc.conf to take ppp0 off the
interface list, configure my outside interface and to set it as the
natd_interface. I also had to change some IPs and so forth.

>In addition, when using DSL with Win95 (ISP is Bell Atlantic) the dial
>up dialog contains 111-1111 as the phone number. ... Why is it there?

It's just more Windoze brain damage. It seems like they go out of their way
to confuse the user and conceal what's actually happening.

--
Chris Hill                   chris@monochrome.org
[place witty saying here]