Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 11:34:10 +0200
From:      Paul Schenkeveld <paul@psconsult.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   make relase stops at missing sysinstall

Hi all,

I've tried 'make release' several times over the last couple of weeks
but all attempts end with:

    >>> elf make world completed on Fri Apr  6 09:17:11 GMT 2001
			    (started Fri Apr  6 08:12:02 GMT 2001)
    + touch /tmp/.world_done
    + cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall
    cd: can't cd to /usr/src/release/sysinstall
    *** Error code 1 (ignored)
    *** Error code 1 (ignored)
    *** Error code 1 (ignored)
    *** Error code 2

The machine is a dual PentiumIII with enough memory running 4.3RC
as of march 31, I've got a complete CVS repository in /usr/cvs.
My /usr/src and /usr/release are symlinks to a big disk, I'm root
and then do:

    rm -rf /usr/src/* /usr/release/snap		# don't touch my symlinks
    CVSROOT=/usr/src
    export CVSROOT
    cd /usr
    cvs co -r RELENG_4 src
    cd /usr/src
    make -j8 buildworld				# dual processor PIII, so -j8
    cd /usr/src/release
    env - \
	    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin \
	    HOME=$HOME \
	    TERM=dumb \
	    CVSROOT=${CVSROOT:-/usr/cvs} \
    make release \
	    BINFORMAT=elf \
	    NODOC=YES \
	    NOPORTS=YES \
	    BUILDNAME=4.3-SNAP-`date +%Y%m%d` \
	    CHROOTDIR=/usr/release/snap

Looks pretty much like the recipe in the FAQ to me.  I needed the
'env' trick because my standard .profile puts a lot of stuff in my
environment that will break the make release for sure.

What I understand about a make buildworld is that sysinstall is not
automatically built so I even tried a
'cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall; make all'
between the make buildworld and the make release.

The same script used to work half a year ago (I'm only not sure whether
I've done a release 4 build this way or only release 3 builds).

So far no luck so before I spend a lot of time reading and understanding
the Makefiles I hope someone can give me a hint whether I'm doing
something wrong here or somethins fell out of one of the Makefiles
unnoticed by the release gurus.

Thans all for your time,

Paul Schenkeveld, Consultant
PSconsult ICT Services BV