Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:11:07 -0700
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@we.mediaone.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Robust: Such a Versatile Word

Robust!  I'm like so sick of that word.  It's like so over used.

Okay, I've seen people use the word "robust" as describing Folgers coffee,
Beer, Wine and now Operating Systems such as FreeBSD and Linux.  So I'm
like...what the hell does robust truly mean.  So I'm looking it up.
(www.dictionary.com)

First definition:
<i>
robust \Ro*bust"\, a. [L. robustus oaken, hard, strong, fr. robur strength,
a very hard kind of oak; cf. Skr. rabhas violence: cf. F. robuste.] 1.
Evincing strength; indicating vigorous health; strong; sinewy; muscular;
vigorous; sound; as, a robust body; robust youth; robust health.
</i>

Okay, now that has nothingn to do with software, unless their refferring it
to be strong and stuff.

Second definition:
<i>
robust adj 1: physically strong [ant: frail] 2: marked by richness and
fullness of flavor; "a rich ruby port"; "full-bodied wines"; "a robust
claret"; "the robust flavor of fresh-brewed coffee" [syn: full-bodied,
rich] 3: strong enough to withstand intellectual challenge; "the experiment
yielded robust results"; "a robust faith" 4: rough and crude; "a robust tale"
</i>

Hmmmm...FreeBSD is full of strong flavor?  Nah...that can't be it.

Okay here's some more definitions:

<i>
robust
Said of a system that has demonstrated an ability to recover gracefully
from the whole range of exceptional inputs and situations in a given
environment. One step below bulletproof. Carries the additional connotation
of elegance in addition to just careful attention to detail. Compare smart,
opposite: brittle.
</i>

Okay, now it seems like we're getting somewhere, I think.  FreeBSD recovers
well when input is thrown at it? Hmmmm....that doesn't sound right.  Makes
it sound as though it crashes then recovers well.

One step below bulletproof?  I guess we're getting closer.  FreeBSD is
almost bulletproof?  I'd like to think that it *is* bulletproof.  FreeBSD
is smart?  Hey that sounds good. :)  Opposite of brittle.  hmmm...the
opposite would be something strong!  Something that lasts.  Okay, now that
sounds much better.

Sounds to me that robust is some BS word that they came up with to describe
a whole slew of things.  Reminds me of that "Corinthian Leather" that
Ricardo Mantoban was talking about in those commercials.  (You do know they
made that up right?)

Although, it does sound good.

Joey