Date:      29 Jul 2002 17:26:21 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        JWright295@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dear FreeBSD,

JWright295@aol.com writes:

| To whom it may concern:
| I am the President of ACM at Mississippi State University. I would like to
| invite someone from your company to do a presentation at MSU for ACM. The
| topic of the presentation would be up to the presenter, but we would be
| interested in any presentation on any of the following topics:
| 1. Linux Installation (one of the main barriers keeping people from using
| Linux)
| 2. Advanced Linux Operations
| 3. Programming in Linux
| 4. Networking Linux boxes
| If no one from your company is available to do a presentation, I will probably
| do the presentation myself on Linux installation. However, more people would
| come if you have a representative from your company doing the presentation.
| If I do the presentation myself, I would appreciate it if you could send some
| "Powered By Linux" stickers and Linux installation CDs.
| Thank you.
| Sincerely,
| James Wright
| ACM President
| P.O. Box 6991
| MSU, MS 39762

My dear James:

First, congratulations on your appointment as President of ACM's MSU chapter.

It concerns me that you may have been misinformed about what FreeBSD is.  While
I do not speak for the organization proper (such as it is), please allow me to
try to correct these misapprehensions.

     *  FreeBSD is not a company per se.  It is an open-source operating
        system, supported by organizations such as the FreeBSD Foundation and
        others.  In and of itself, it does not have the resources to provide
        for presentations.  However, there may be a local FreeBSD administrator
        in your area that might be willing to help.  If there's one on the list
        who's willing, he or she might speak up; otherwise, we can't really
        help you.

     *  FreeBSD is not Linux.  Linux is an entirely different operating
        system.  Linux and FreeBSD share a heritage and a lot of software (as
        do other Unix-style operating systems such as OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris,
        and so forth), but they are very different.  FreeBSD's heritage is
        based on the Berkeley System Distribution of Bell Labs's UNIX; Linux
        was written by a loose confederation led by Linus Torvalds.

     *  We have no "Powered by Linux" or Linux installation CDs to offer,
        because as I said, FreeBSD is not a Linux-based operating system.

I'm sure we wish you the best of luck on your presentation, and we hope that at
some point, you take a look at FreeBSD in greater depth.

Thanks for writing.