Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:20:44 +0100
From:      Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>, Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>, Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: compiler info in kernel identification string

Den 16/11/2012 kl. 08.34 skrev Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>:

> on 16/11/2012 01:09 Dimitry Andric said the following:
>> And as I remarked in another reply, now that I have thought about it =
>> bit, I would much rather see this information moved to a sysctl or =
dmesg
>> line, than in uname.  With the happy side effect that no existing =
uname
>> parsers would be confused!
>=20
> I would still like to have at least compiler's "base name" or type or =
something
> in uname.

This has been brought up before, but what about putting all this in a =
separate file, e.g. /etc/buildinfo?

At least I'd like this to be configurable. I'm trying to get FreeBSD =
code in a shape where it can optionally produce deterministic binaries =
from two different builds (i.e. comparable with md5) as long as the =
binaries are functionally equivalent, and "irrelevant" info like =
compiler version, hostname, username, timestamp, absolute path etc. are =
a nuisance if they can't be turned off with -fno-ident, -frandom-seed, =
-DSTRIP_FBSDID, ar -D and the like.

Thanks,
Erik=