Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 22:32:14 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More info on slow "rm" times with 2.2.1+.

> However - things are not going any faster...
>
> I have determined that it's not the argument processing; I can
>simply pick a single file to remove; issue:
>
>  rm file
>
>and it takes upwards of 3 to 5 seconds and a *slew* of disk
>activity to accomplish the task... (recall, this is a miserable
>little IDE drive as well.. the 'rm' spends a lot of its time
>in biowait.)

   The answer to this is that FreeBSD, like many (most?) other operating
systems, doesn't handle very large directories very well. When I was looking
into similar slowness on a different news server, I found that the
control.cancel newsgroup directory was more than 10MB large! I think it
contained more than 200,000 files, but I don't recall the exact number.
   Anyway, my solution was to add this to news' cron:

0 * * * *       rm -rf /var/news/control/cancel > /dev/null 2>&1 ; rm -f /var/news/over.view/control/cancel/.overview

   I tried hard to prevent INN from creating files there in the first place,
but was unsuccessful. FWIW, I also disabled cancel processing on this machine
because cancel spam was trying to delete everything.

-DG

David Greenman