Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:52:19 +0000
From:      ken@mui.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   chown vs chmod

I'm going nuts over these "rights" issues.

how in the world do I get these chown and chmod stuff straight?

I sort of understand it, finally but haven't the faintest idea of
what's good and what's not.  For instance, I need to be able to
maintain the web pages and stuff.  root obviously has the rights to
everything, and can do whatever.  not a good idea to use root all the
time -- i get that part.  "nobody" and "nogroup" is what apache uses
to get into whatever is needed.  ok, I'm with it so far.  I
understand that I need to use chmod to allow and disallow to various
pages and routines.  okay, I can follow instructions there.

Now's the hard part.  How do I in the meantime, maintain and build
stuff.  I'd like to use my signon to be able to do whatever, but not
have to keep on changing permissions or whatever back and forth.
There's got to be an easier way to do this.

argh!

ken (sorry, about that...just going goofy again)