Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 17:12:54 +0100
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        Oscar Hodgson <oscar.hodgson@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using freebsd ZFS for large storage servers?

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Oscar Hodgson <oscar.hodgson@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> That helps. =A0Thank you.
>
> This is an academic departmental instructional / research environment.
> =A0We had a great relationship with Sun, they provided great
> opportunities to put Solaris in front of students. =A0Oracle, not so
> much, and the Oracle single-tier support model simply isn't affordable
> for this "business" (there's no ROI at the departmental level <g>).
> Solaris is not a viable option.

We found Oracle to be the cheapest out of all the solutions we looked
at: Netapp, MSI, et el.....

> FreeBSD looks like the next best available option at the moment,
> particularly considering the use of the storage heads as compute
> machines. =A0OpenIndiana shows promise. =A0Nexenta has a great product,
> but the user community expects more flexibility in software options.

FreeBSD is better then Linux in my opinion though lacking some
software and multimedia functionality that Linux has and not for the
Desktop as it's not as "bleeding edge" as say Fedora 16, however, if
FreeBSD offered Gnome3 and supported my wireless NIC I'd be all over
it like a "bad rash" :-)

> Is there anything like a list of "supported" (known good) SAS HBA's?

LSI HBA's are really good!

For my DIY solution at home I used a SuperMicro system board with
non-RAID LSI HBA.......

It is a similar solution that we will use for our test NAS at work
though we already have a Dell R700 series server. For this setup
however I will need to use an LSI HBA with both internal and external
Mini-SAS ports.

Instead of Promise we will use NetStor JBOD solutions as they work
with 6Gbps drives and overall give better performance.

> Oscar

Regards,

Kaya