Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 23:19:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        IBS / Andre Oppermann <andre@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaBIOS documentation

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:

> Doug Rabson wrote:
> -snip-
> > I have read most of these documents and I understand the SRM console's
> > bootstrap process fairly well.  What I need to understand is the AlphaBIOS
> > bootstrap process which is far less well documented.
>
> Alpha has no BIOS in the 'Intel/PC' sense. What you need is the SROM,
> it contains the power-up and initial bootstrap code.
>
> There's a complete SKD avail. with SROM Mini-Debugger and all the stuff
> you need:
> http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/literature/mbsdkpb.pdf

There is a piece of console firmware for alpha systems called AlphaBIOS.
This software has an easy to understand gui interface and is designed to
boot WinNT.  It is compatable at the bootstrap level with the ARC firmware
for older WinNT/alpha boxes.  This is different from the SRM firmware
which is used to boot DU and NetBSD.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039