Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:17:41 +0900
From:      horio shoichi <bugsgrief@bugsgrief.net>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to determine whether a port is a slave port?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:25:47 -0600 (CST)
Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
> One of the things that I would like to have available for the
> database in my ports monitoring code is an indication of whether
> or not a  port is a slave port.  The Porter's Handbook recommends
> that the MASTERDIR makevar be used to establish that, but does
> not make it clear whether its use is mandatory or not.  However,
> there are over 300 ports that do not seem to use this convention.
> Most seem to use the "${.CURDIR}/.." convention, although a few
> seem to use PORTSDIR directly.
>
> So, without wanting to start a bikeshed, are these just remnants
> of a time before MASTERDIR was introduced?  Is there a consensus
> on how slave ports ought to be handled?
>
> mcl

A clip from my collection. Further clip your necessary part from here.

# switch to masterdir
# return 0 iff there is (distinct) masterdir and have switched to it
switchtomasterdir() {
local -
[ -r Makefile ] || return 1
set -- $(make -V MASTERDIR -V .CURDIR)
[ $# -ne 2 ] && return 1
set -- $(csh -fc "cd $1 ; echo \$cwd") $(csh -fc "cd $2 ; echo \$cwd")
        echo "-- MASTERDIR = $1 --"
        cd $1
        }
}