Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:43:21 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@isi.edu>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Ted Faber wrote:

> Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >I said:
> >:So, Matt, I understand that you think that the folks who are want to
> >:turn off overcommit are looking to hang themselves, but how much does
> >:it cost to sell them the rope?
> >
> >    I'm guessing that a simple implementation would be about an hour's
> >    worth of work on the kernel:  [...]
> >
> >    But you would never be able to run normal system programs reliably
> >    without also going through the entire utility source base and doing a
> >    whole lot of rewriting.  Standard programs such as
> >    <everything_under_the_sun> are not going to be happy when the limit is
> >    hit and this will slowly cause system daemons to disappear from the
> >    system and for programs to start dying in odd ways when you do anything
> >    that brings the system close to an 'overcommitted' state.
>
> If it's a small hunk of work, maybe one of the folks who wants the
> overcommit turned off can do the work and get it committed or
> post patches.  It would allow the arguments to be decided by
> experiment.  It seems we're well past the point of convincing anyone
> verbally.

You know, it occurred to me that with all the time wasted typing up messages
in this thread someone (e.g. Matt) could have instead coded up a simple
non-overcommit model, given it to the nay-sayers and said "Run this and see
what I mean about making your system unusable" :-)

At least that way people might finally shut up about it all..

Kris

-----
    -- Unknown