Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:49:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul), crandall@matchlogic.com (Charles Randall), dmiller@search.sparks.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet support?

Wes Peters wrote...
> Bill Paul wrote:
> >
> > Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Charles Randall
> > had to walk into mine and say:
> >
> > > Bill Paul has developed a driver for the Alteon Tigon 1 and 2 cards.
> > >
> > >       http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Alteon/
> > >
> > > FYI,
> > > Charles

I doubt a faster PCI interface would really speed things up.  My guess is
that you've got some other bottleneck other than PCI bandwidth.  Is the CPU
pegged on either end?

I would recommend that you make sure you've got a couple of things tweaked,
they may increase your performance somewhat:

- set your MTU to 9000, unless of course you're going through a switch that
  can't handle it
- turn on net.inet.tcp.rfc1323, it enables support for TCP windows larger
  than 64K
- increase net.inet.tcp.sendspace and net.inet.tcp.recvspace to 256K.
  You'll have to edit src/sys/socketvar.h and increase SB_MAX.  From what
  I've seen (this may not be quite correct, but it's close enough) SB_MAX
  has to be double whatever you want to set sendspace and recvspace to.
  This has the effect of changing the TCP window size to 256K, I think.
  From what I've seen, increasing it to 512K is counterproductive unless
  you've got a card with 1MB of SRAM on board.  (The Netgear boards have
  512K.)

And finally, netperf seems to work reasonably well for testing performance:

http://www.netperf.org

> They're relatively cheap, too, going for $339 at DataComm Warehouse.

FWIW, NECX has them for $310.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry