Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 1995 15:56:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mattias.Gronlund@sa.erisoft.se (Mattias Gronlund)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   iostat and msps

Hi!
  I have been trying to use iostat to check how busy a my disks are, but
the scsi-disk whant give me a value for msps. After lookung in the
source I found that the sd device didn't implement dk_busy flag.

After that I did a simple implementation of db_busy I found that
iostat used dk_wpms to calculate msps but dk_wpms is a constant, why
is that??

So my question is, why try to calculate msps from a constat that what
I guess seldom have a value even near the corrspondign value for the
drive?? wouldn't it be better just to give a value that says how many
percent of the time the drive where busy?

An other question that arise when I implemented dk_busy for the sd
driver was what happen i I have more disks than DK_NDRIVE drives?
shouldn't the dk_xxx variabels be better to have dynamic?

/Mattias

PS. A just have to thank for a wonderfull OS, thanks all who have
    contributed to this project! DS.