Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 2020 09:47:13 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet@gmail.com>
Cc:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no audio with simplescreenrecorder

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 6:52 AM Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 at 21:35, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have confirmed that neither "mic" nor "monitor" seem to record except by
>> picking up sound via the microphone. That mic gain is set to 0:0 makes no
>> difference really bothers me. Not sure exactly what "monitor" is, but it
>> seems to not work. I guess I need to read a bunch of documentation on
>> snd_hda and sound. Oh, I did remove the mic items from boot/loader.conf
>> and
>> rebooted, but it made no difference.Also tried ALSA without luck,either.
>>
>> Tobias, I'm averse to trying ffmpeg, but I really want to only record the
>> video window and not the entire screen and I don't know of a way to do
>> this
>> with ffmpeg.
>>

> You can try something like this:
> Set the recording source, mine is monitor:
> $ mixer recsrc=monitor
> Recording source: monitor
>
> Take a look at /dev/sndstat and sysct hw.snd.default_unit , to set the
> right ones for capture and playback.
>
> $ ffmpeg -loglevel error -f oss -i /dev/dsp0.0 -video_size 800x600
> -framerate 25 -f x11grab -i :0.0+60,120 /tmp/test.mpg
>
>  0.0 is display.screen number of your X11 server, same as the DISPLAY
>        environment variable. 60 is the x-offset and 120 the y-offset for
> the
>        grabbing.
>
> Not too simple, but you are able to grab only the window area you need.

Thanks. As to getting simplescreenrecorder working, as the output of
mixer(1) two messages up shows, my recording device was monitor. I had
looked as sndstat and hw.snd.default_unit. I suspect that my lack of
familiarity with PulseAudio may be at the heart of my problem. As usual,
OSS and ffmpeg work fine, just not so easy to select the exact portion of
the screen to record. (Tobias suggested a very similar ffmpeg command
shortly after I posted my initial query.)

So I've given up on simplescreenrecorder for now, at least until I can
figure out PulseAudio. Until then, I guess ffmpeg will have to do the job.

Thanks again to all for trying to help.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com