Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:29:08 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <johann@egenetics.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bioinformatics Open Source Conference, 2001

In July 2000 I posted to these lists about the Bioinformatics Open Source
Conference (BOSC) 2000, which was held in San Diego last August.  I'll not
repeat what I posted then - you can read it here:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=100577+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-chat/20000730.freebsd-chat

For even more info, see the article that Trish Lynch wrote for Open Magazine
which was recently republished in the FreeBSD 'zine:

  http://www.freebsdzine.org/200103/science.php3

Anyone who has not been living under a rock this past year :) should have an
idea that the biosciences are gearing up to be one of the premier fields of
human scientific endeavour for the forseeable future, now that the
"post-genome era" is upon us.  To reiterate some of the points I made last
year:

- Biocomputing is still an almost 100% Unix-dominated field.
- It's already a big field, and destined to be HUGE.
- Of course, therefore, open source operating systems and tools are coming to
  play an increasingly important part.  Companies like Incyte regularly get
  PR mileage out of their massive Linux clusters.
- Hence this is one area where BSD in general and FreeBSD in particular
  should be actively advocated, IMHO.

And this year I'll add another point:

- While dot.coms are slumping, many genomics firms are now seeing their stock
  price do what internet startups did some five years back.

Following my postings last year, Jordan graciously offered to contact the
BOSC organisers and supply free FreeBSD CDs to conference-goers.  Let me tell
you, those CDs wer a hit!  :-)  BOSC is still a smallish conference, and if
your conference pack consists of one folder with some boring documentation
and a shiny new shrink-wrapped CD, that CD is bound to draw attention.  I did
my bit, parading around in my Beastie T-shirt and offering installation help
to anyone who seemed to be scrutinising the CD curiously.  I had to compete
with a large contingent sporting Tux paraphernalia (and one OpenBSD T-shirt,
at least).

FreeBSD's increasingly mature support for the Alpha platform is a drawcard, I
believe.  SGI has always been and still is a major player in the bioinfor-
matics field, but while that company is having its problems Compaq is
stepping into the breach, selling many Alpha boxes (particularly in Japan,
we've found).  At the conference last year Alpha CDs were in almost as much
demand as i386 ones.

The small but steadily growing community of people who use FreeBSD in
bioinformatics and other biocomputing fields has not been sitting still
either.  We have set up a mailing list:

... and we're steadily adding more and more relevant ports to the "biology"
category of the ports tree.  Maintaining the FreeBSD ports has led me to
become more involved with some of these open source development efforts (and
in some cases to try to steer them gently away from a single-platform, NIH
scenario).

At any rate, attached is the announcement for BOSC 2001, which will be held
in Copenhagen, Denmark.  Please spread the word to the BSD community.  :-)

-- Johann

----- Forwarded message from Ewan Birney <birney@ebi.ac.uk> -----

----- End forwarded message -----