Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:03:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
To:        Benjamin Ossei <ben@cahostnet.net>
Cc:        jeff <jeff@stardustweb.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp

No, they can go into other people's directories by default.  The default
umask on FreeBSD is 022, which means that all users files
(with certain exceptions like .rhosts and others) are 644 and directories
are 755.  Both of which are world readable.  I typically change the umask
for my account to 027, that way others in the wheel group can see files I
create, but others cannot.

For more information on the way modes work, you should read the chmod and
umask man pages.

Robert Simmons
Systems Administrator
http://www.wlcg.com/