Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 20:31:19 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.org, rivers@dignus.com, audit@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: moused(8): char signed-ness problem with gcc 3.1

[CC: obrien, who has been working on bringing in gcc 3.1]

At Wed, 15 May 2002 20:46:06 -0700,
Bill Fenner wrote:
> > So - yes - it seems gcc 3.1 does have a problem...
>
> Indeed - easily determined by breaking down the expression.
>
> So, who's gonna report it to gcc-bugs?  knu?...
>
> int
> main()
> {
>    unsigned char i = 127;
>    char j;
>
>    printf("%d\n", ((char)(i << 1)));
>    j = ((char)(i << 1)) / 2;
>    printf("%d\n", j);
>    j = ((char)(i << 1));
>    printf("%d\n", j / 2);
>    return 0;
> }

Somehow, specifying -fsigned-char, which I thought was the default,
fixed the problem.  So, the cause may be in our configuration of gcc?

I'll send-pr if it isn't.

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"Somewhere out of a memory.. of lighted streets on quiet nights.."