Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:36:21 HST
From:      knowtree@aloha.com
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACPI et al on Dell Latiture D830

I installed FreeBSD 7.0 RC1 on a Dell Latitude D830 and am having the same
kinds of problems described here previously on similar hardware and FreeBSD
6.3.  Disappointments include:

    o No suspend (well, no wake up after)

    o Broadcom Wifi "card" invisible

    o No sound from speakers

Any chance installing 7.0-RELEASE will improve anything? Is there anything
I can do to help get Suspend and ACPI working better?

CPU SPEED

While exploring Suspend I came across the sysctls for CPU speed stuff.
Among them was one for CPU temperature, which read 44.5C. Is there a Gnome
panel gizmo for this? I'm picturing a volcano.

I discovered that the Gnome panel gizmo "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor"
does allow me the throttle my CPU up and down -- very cool -- but I want
this to be automatic in response to both CPU temperature and process load.
I have been going blind staring at the ACPI man page trying to understand
where to begin. Does anyone have tips on how to get this working?

Thanks in advance!

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project