Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:35:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Scott Lamb <slamb@slamb.org>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netgraph kernel panic

Scott Lamb writes:
> Looks like I have a slightly different situation than you're describing.
> I'm not specifying a "set ipcp ranges" anywhere. The peer chooses an
> inside address that's different from but within the same /24 as its
> outside address.  I'm trying to run everything within two /16s over the
> VPN (which include those addresses). So I guess I'm getting the same
> routing loop but in a slightly more complicated way.

Yes.. the problem happens when the route to the outside IP address
goes over the PPTP tunnel.. you get an "infinite encapsulation loop".

> Taking out my "set iface route" lines in mpd.conf made it no longer
> crash and I can talk to just the VPN host.  So I tried next a "route add
> vpnhost mygw" before starting the VPN. It worked. So that's definitely
> the problem. It would be nice if there were a slicker way of doing this
> (mpd automatically adding that route if this situation occurs?),
> especially since I'm on DHCP. And it does make me nervous that mpd can
> make the kernel crash at all. But I can at least work around this now.

You are right, kernel crashing is always bogus no matter how it
happens. Mpd adding a host route for the remote IP is a good idea,
I didn't think of that. I'll try to add something to that effect
when time permits.

Really there are two things to fix: mpd as you describe, and
ng_ksocket, which is where the crash originates.

-Archie