Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 22:55:18 -0500
From:      Brian Ristuccia <brianr@osiris.978.org>
To:        Andy Kennedy <st0658@student-mail.jsu.edu>
Cc:        Albert Max Lai <amlai@columbia.edu>, Ricky Beam <root@defiant.interpath.net>, roe@spl-spindel.de, AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI speed with IBM DGVS09U (8 GB) hard drive, Linux

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 09:38:57PM -0600, Andy Kennedy wrote:

> I still say that I have asked this question several times and that I
> CANNOT get these transfers to work.  I have also talked to someone at
> Seagate who told me that the 2940UW does not alow more that 4 devices on a
> chain at high speeds, and if there are any on the chain that are of SCSI-2
> then you cannot have the high speed transfers.  Is this information
> faulty?  Hey, if it is, I'll beef mine up to 20 ASAP.  I don't think that
> the BUS can handle the confusion.  HOWEVER, I am a mere babe in CS and
> probably am wrong.

Your milage may vary, but I've had great success with my 2940A and assorted
devices. I have a HP surestore CD writer (fast scsi), a Scanjet IIc (scsi),
an archive DAT autoloader, and a Micropolis 3387 (ultra scsi) all on the
same bus with no trouble. I even had a zip drive on this bus at one point.
Furthermore, the 3387ns is even improperly cabled (connected to the 25 pin
side of the HP scanner). I still get the 20mb/sec transfer rate and no
errors.

If it isn't working, you've either got a defective card, incorrect
configuration, stale bios or driver, horribly defective cables, or bogus
termination.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org